Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default 3 way valve horror

Kind of makes you wonder though, why they might want to redesign something
that has already been made for years.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
wrote:
35 year old 3 way valve had stripped its gearteeth, so the head was
replaced with an identical one. Or so I thought. The new one won't work
though, it stays on HW only all the time. Taking the head off reveals
that the socket that engages onto the valve shaft sits at a different
angle, so that at one end of the head's travel, the valve is at the other
end of its travel. Hence any control of the valve is impossible, it sits
at one end only. Any ideas before I copy Simon?

NT

When I had one that failed (2way) it was the motor pinion that had dental
decay and so a new motor sorted it out. It only has about 8 teeth and so
much more subject to wear

If your gear wear is elsewhere then you might have to bite the bullet and
fit a new valve. Sometimes there are new valve bodies on ebay to go with
your replacement head to save buying a whole new valve.