Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Win 7 or XP?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 18:22:30 -0600, wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:12:42 -0600, philo wrote:

My first experience with Linux was RedHat 5.2 in those days one could
easily spend all week installing and configuring...I even complied my
own kernel once. It was an attempt to add USB support.
Even though I compiled-in USB support, I neglected to add support for
the add-on USB card so never got USB working until I eventually went
with a later version of Linux.

That said I do not try to force others to use it because if one
absolutely needs Win apps such as Photoshop, it's not going to work.
Not too many are going to want to deal with GIMP but I got used to it.

You must be one of the FEW, if you dont try to force others to use
linux. There are far too many who think linux is the answer too all of
life's problems, and nearly treat it like it's a religion or somthing.

I am not trying to start a flame war, so I am going to just say this and
leave it at that. "I HATE LINUX". That thing nearly drove me to throwing
all my computers into the trash and having an emotional breakdown.
But I stopped there, formatted all the hard drives, and linux bootable
thumb drives. Then I threw all linux CDs or DVDs in the garbage, and
made a promise to myself to never allow linux anywhere near my computers
again. I'm sticking to that for the rest of my life.

And just to be clear, this was not the RedHat nightmare from the 90s (I
tried that too though). My last and final linux try was about 3 years
ago. I tried at least a dozen POPULAR distros, several computers, and
there is not one good thing I can say about linux.

I would like an alternative to Windows too, but linux is NOT the answer.
I dont like the direction Windows has gone. I liked Windows 98, XP and
although I dont own a Win7 machine, I have played with it and know I
could get used to it. I want nothing to do with Win 8.x or 10.

I can only hope, or wish that MS would wise up and support more than
theor latest bloatware, because soem of us like a simpler OS and/or dont
want to keep buy new computers when our older ones still work fine.

-OR-

Someone would create an entirely new OS that's compatible with Windows
software.

But I know that is only a dream, and MS will keep creating their bloated
crap, which does the same thing as their olders OS, with 10X more
complexity and problems, and needing 10x more hardware power.

Then again, I'm old, so I probably wont have to ever use their latest
crap. I do just fine with XP and possibly will one day I get something
with Win7.

I have windows 10 working well on a few machines that came with XP and
were "iffy" with Win7. Boots faster, and works better on the
"marginal" computers - including an Acer NetBook - of all things.

I think the "kernal" is smaller and more efficient on W10 than it was
on 7 when yoiu turn off all the "ET CALL HOME" crap. I wouldn't switch
my home systems back to 7 pro from 10 pro - that is for SURE.