Speedy Jim

Default Electrical fixture rewiring in series question

amder wrote:

I have a 6 light bulb bathroom fixture installed.
At present all bulbs are of course wired in parallel to the line.
I have a bunch of 60W speciality expensive bulbs I would like to use,
but only want to run them at 30W. Dimmer won't work here because I
have 2 fixtures like this on the same dimmer and this would be 600W,
much greater than its rating.

I can rewire the fixture so that pairs of bulbs are in series, thus
burning my 60W bulbs at 30W.

Question is that when I rewire them in series, one of the bulbs I'll
call number 1 will be wired to the line, and the ouput of bulb number
1 will be connected to the next bulb number 2's center. Thus number
1's base which is normally neutral/ground when in parallel, will now
be at half voltage because it is feeding bulb 2 and not going to the
neutral.

Is this a code violation or safety concern ???

It would be a violation on several counts.
Consider this one scenario:
Owner removes bulb #2.
Owner now goes to remove bulb #1 (power is on but lamp is not lit).
In doing so, he touches the shell of the bulb. He gets full 120V
shock since bulb #2 doesn't even reduce voltage to 1/2 (which would
be bad enough).

Jim