Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stripper

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:21:28 -0600, Alan wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-automa...stripper/97204

Not for stripping insulation off. It's great for getting the

sheath
off T+E, but I never use it for the ends.

Why not for the ends?

They are not accurate enough, you need sheath in both jaws to pull them
apart, they sometimes pull on the 'fixed' end, so the bit you want is
actually smaller than you need, if it does that, you have to start
again. OK if you are happy to strip the insulation, then snip the excess
cable off.

Not sure I follow that. Surely the insulation is only ever cut where
the blade blocks meet it. You position the wire so the cut happens
where you want it, using the stop or otherwise.

I'm not sure they are much use for smaller than 1mm cable, even that
slips sometimes.

1 mm as in 1 mm^2 T&E type rather than 1 mm OD of the insulation? The
reviews only really talk about T&E with passing mention of smaller
stuff.

Going off the CK for small stuff, which is the primary need rather
than T&E. That is delt with via the cheesewire method and a cheapo
"nose" type automatic that even on its lowest setting will snick a
few strands of alarm wire and 50% of the time cut CW1308...

--
Cheers
Dave.