Edwin Pawlowski

Default Contractor has to see you AND the wife????

"john williamson" wrote in message
John wrote

You don't say if you had other estimates for the metal roof, do you know
if the price was excessive? If it was and not justified, both of you
could have told him so.

Your price difference of $10,500.00 is comparing "apples to oranges"
and has nothing to do with the topic.

I would guess the amount saved on another trip would be about:
2 hours labor @ $ 50.00 ----------$100.00
est 40 miles round trip--------------$ 15.00
About $115.00 for 2 total hours and 40 miles.

The expenses and time are real to the contractors providing free
estimates, they do not appear to be so to most customers.

I hear what you are saying, but I think there is another side to it, as
I pointed out.

Ed writes:
Your $115 cost is probably low. His visit was not to "give and estimate"
but to make a sale. Much easier done when both are present.

In this case, his price may or may not have been competitive. I'd be
willing to pay a premium for a metal roof, cut not 3X the cost of a good
standard roof. If he had told me over the phone that "our prices start at
$10,000 for a small house" I would have told him not to bother. He wanted
to make the trip so he could do a selling job, not just give me a price. He
would not give me the price to decide tonight but I'm sure it was more than
the $115.

I don't shop at Jaguar dealerships as I know they are out of my price range
and I don't take up the salesman's time for no good reason.