Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default techshop.ws

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 7:42:54 PM UTC-5, MJ wrote:
This is the one I joined last year for two months. You MUST take a safety course in EACH machine group (wood, metal, etc.) before you are allowed to use the equipment. It's a great place. Heard that they may have to move, tho.

MJ

each one is equipped differently

look at the reservation calendar to see what each local offers

but here is an example equipment list

OK, so now I realize that you and I were talking about 2 very different
organizations in my MakerSpace thread.

TechShop appears to be a for-profit company, while MakersSpace is a 501(c)3
organization, i.e. a non-profit. At least the one by me is.

That explains the $1MM seed money that you mentioned vs. the "everything
has been donated" (well, almost everything) at MakerSpace. They did mention
that a member suggested an oscillating sander. None were available for
donation, so they bought one.