Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT travel power adaptor

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 11:19:42 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 1/27/2017 10:34 AM, wrote:
Hi all ;
I am planning a vacation to Ireland and shopping for a travel adaptor.
All the ones that I find online state that they do not convert the
voltage - which is OK for the laptop converter - which will accept
240 volts 50 - 60 hertz ; and OK for USB charging ;
- but what about other 120 volt devices like my camera battery
charger - that are 120 volt input ?
Are there better adaptors available that reduce the voltage ?
or some other option ?
John T.

According to this guy, you only need an adapter to fit European sockets
since the European voltage is dual voltage.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...ers-converters

I'm uncertain of it's validity.

---

European voltage is NOT dual voltage.

What he's saying is (he misses the MOST) electronic gadgets are dual
voltage. Hoiwever, if they do not say "dual voltage" or "input
voltage 100-240" they are NOT dual voltage and will toast very quickly
when plugged into a euro socket. Some earlier equipment was dual
voltage but not auto switcdhing - you needed to flip a switch.

Either get a "universal voltage" charger for the devices you need to
use, or buy the transformer. I took a transformer with me when I went
to Zambia in the seventies, and bought universal voltage chargers for
my devices for my travels over the last 25 or more years.