Jim Mc Namara

Default Replacing furnace blower motor

"D O G" wrote in message:
I am fairly clueless about it, please forgive me if my questions are
completely stupid.

rest snipped

I replaced the blower motor on my unit last week. A few tips:
#1 - Have a service tech come out and trouble-shoot the unit. It was well
worth the $65 for him to do so.

I have been in the mechanical contracting business (plbg & hvac) for over 30
years. All the systems I've installed were new commercial units. I was
never in the hvac service business. The tech's info was invaluable (as it
could have been a relay, capacitor, etc.)

I killed the power to the unit, checked for assurance with a volt meter, and
removed the entire squirrel cage assembly. I removed the motor, and
replaced it with a Baldor motor. I completely cleaned the cage and assembly
and allowed it to dry while I went back into the attic, cleaned both my
drains, coil, and compartment area. I reassembled everything, connected the
wiring as to the diagram furnished with the motor regarding RPM, etc. The
unit tested out just fine and is operating normally. I also installed a new
programmable thermostat.

The advice you were given was good advice, DOG. I'm not saying (as is
anyone else) that you *can't* do it, but some background experience is a
dangerous thing. A *lot* of experience is even better. If you proceed,
then by all means recruit the help of a professional.

Best of luck to you can be careful.

Jim