Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default DOW record high.

In article ,
says...

While 20,000 sounds high, it is only good if the price of a loaf of
bread remains at 25¢, but inflation eats up the gains. Remember when
you could retire with a $million and live off the interest at 5% or
so?

There was also a time you could retire on $200,000 and live off the
15+% interest - for about a year until the interest rates crashed.

Seems that everything was working backwards for me. Buying a house and
the rate was 8%. A few years later and the interist rate was 15% on
savings. Did not have any extra money then.

Now the house is paid for the rates are around 4 % on a house and the
savings interist is maybe 1/2 of a precent.

At least most of my IRA is in stock and has done very well over the
years. I did get lucky twice and sold the stock at a higher point and
bought it back at a lower point. I did not want to take the time to
sort out how the bond market works.