HeatMan

Default Replacing furnace blower motor

"D O G" wrote in message
.net...
"HeatMan" wrote in message
Get a *competent*, licensed, professionally trained, HVAC technician to

get
the problem diagnosed and corrected properly. It will save you money

in
the long run.

I had a customer that wanted to do it himself. He burned his brand new
motor and still had to pay me to come out and install a new motor

There may have been 20 people on that day who wanted to do it themselves.
One failed, and became your customer. The other 19 succeeded, but you'll
never know about their success cause they had no reason to call you for
help. What I am trying to say is that being an HVAC pro, you only deal

with
those who failed, you have no idea how many do get the job done

successfully
:-)

Not many try it themselves. The ones that do and suceed I have to
congratulate. A tech can waltz in, pull the blower, remove the motor, clean
the cage, reinstall a new, properly sized motor and cap, re-install the
blower, and write the bill up in less than an hour in 90% of the cases.

You, on the other hand may waste a day or more finding the motor, going back
and getting the capicator, figureing out how to remove the blower, knocking
off a wheel weight off the wheel, re-install the possibly incorrect motor,
re-install the blower, pull the motor to figure out where the cap goes,
re-re-install the blower, wonder why the $%^%$ the thing vibrates, remeber
about the wheel weight, spend another day plus trying to replace the weight
at the correct place, finally giving up and looking for a new wheel,
etc.etc. What's your time worth?

And indeed, people fix their houses, roofs, floors, cars, appliances,
electronics etc, why not HVAC.

And many people mess things up, too. I charge more to fix something the HO
tried first. Why? I have to figure out what the origonal problem was
first.

Some of the jobs I would not risk and would
indeed leave to professionals, but replacing a motor does seem quite

doable
to me. I already took it out, all I have to do is buy a new one and put it
back in.

Good Luck.