Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES20 takes Long Time to Initialize

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 11:05:25 AM UTC-5,

Note: I did electronic service work for many years.
Note: This DVD recorder does NOT use a computer. It has
AV inputs and outputs plus a built in TV type tuner.

a) Whether or not there is a "computer" (formal microprocessor) involved, there is still a great deal of RAM involved in the AD/DA process. So, try a hard reboot: Unplug the machine while ON (but no disc and not playing). Allow it to sit for at least an hour. Activate the "ON" switch for a full 30 seconds while still unplugged. Wait another full minute. Plug back in and restart.

b) If that does not help, replace any caps in the P/S anyway whether they pass the various (low voltage) tests applied. One of the most significant mistakes amateurs make with electrolytic caps is assuming a higher-than-expected reading as "good". Many times, it is more indicative the cap slowly going open.

c) And, once you get it where you want it to be, refrain from unplugging it - or you may find yourself in the position of having to do a hard reboot every time.

ASIDE and RANT WARNING: Guys and gals, let's look at so-called Vampire devices, what they really mean and what cold-starts also really mean.

Definitions: A Vampire Device is any device that continues to draw power while otherwise inert - not doing any sort of work as when active. So, not electric clocks, items with a clock function that power other than that clock and similar. VCRs and DVRs are often considered to be types of vampire devices. I have some very vintage Dynaco and AR devices that keep a low current on the main filter caps when not powered up - so as to avoid turn-on thumps and to keep those capacitors 'wet'. All those things. Big Flat-Screen televisions are also often considered vampires.

What we do not 'get' is that many of these devices 'learn' small things that are wiped out with complete disconnection. Or, internal parts are subject to heavy inrush currents when power is re-applied. TVs lose all their settings and default to "display mode" (Full bright, full color, full everything) when power is re-applied. Some tuners lose all their presets, and so on and so forth.

Now do the math: We, by direct measurement, have a vampire load of about 15 watts in our house. That is everything from the microwave clock to the wall-warts to the television and more. Power is $0.14/kwh (US dollars).

(15 x 24 x 7 x 365) = 919,800 = total watts.
919,800/1000 = 919.8 kilowatt hours
919.8 x 0.14 = $128.77 per year
128.77/12 = $10.73 per month
10.73/30 = $0.36 per day

For which I get:

No preset reprogramming.
No TV settings reprogramming x 2
No microwave/stove reprogramming
No surges to any wall-wart devices (they all have switching wall-warts. They draw no current when not actually working).
All it takes is one device to be damaged by a surge in any case to wipe out any savings.

Sure, from the same person lecturing on efficient washing machines. But this is apples (how something is designed to operate) and oranges (replacing one set of means-and-methods with another set of means-and-methods). If the goal is to clean fabrics with water and chemicals, it only makes sense to do so with the least amount of water and chemicals as is practical. If the goal is to enjoy electronic devices at their full functionality, then it only makes sense to provide the means to that end. One makes a deliberate choice to use those functions, so one pays the price.

And not to be elitist or anything of the sort: $128.77 may be significant and serious money to some. And to some few of those, not sustainable against other demands. For those the decision will be different in how they manage such issues. But it is also doubtful that they will have two hobbies that impact such, and have all the other artifacts that raise our vampire load as high as it is. And to be perfectly snarky, I can balance that $0.36/day against the 15,000 gallons of water I am saving every year over that old Maytag.....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA