CBHvac

Default Replacing furnace blower motor

"D O G" wrote in message
.net...
We read about a few that die by electrocution as well doing this stuff..

That could happen while changing a bulb.

It COULD, but you and I both know, most people have changed a light bulb
more than once...not so with a blower motor.

HVAC is the only trade that is regulated at the local, State and Federal
level. Granted, you are replacing a motor.....but, replacement with a

larger
HP, or the wrong speed, and you have issues you didnt have before.
Then, where are you at?

I am clueless as I said before, but I am not stupid. If I am not sure I do
not do it. I am researching, reading, asking questions, learning etc.

That's
why I asked the question to this newsgroup and now thanks to you btw :-) I
know that I should get same HP, RPM, Speeds etc as the original.

NP...if you are going to do it, simply be careful, dont make stupid
mistakes...

No...its not that simple...what speed was the old motor set at? For

cool?
For heat? Low, Med Low, MedHigh, or high?
Did it have 6 or 7 wires off it? What if the new one has one more, or

one
less? You know, some do NOT come with wiring directions. Shaft size?

Shaft
length?

It has 6 wires, 2 for the capacitor and the rest for four different

speeds.
When I disconnected the motor I made sure to write down which wire
represented what speed and where on the board it was connected. When I am
getting a new motor, I'll make sure that the number of wires are the same
and that it comes with instructions. I'll certainly make sure the shaft
dimensions are the same as well.

6 wires? 4 speeds....hummmm.....can be done...but what you just described,
is a 3 speed motor....

One wire for common, 3 for speeds, and 2 for the cap....
if you had ONE for the cap, with the cap being fed off a hot....I can see
it...

Well...you can try your local HVAC supply center, but, most legitimate

ones
do not sell to a homeowner, and will charge you prob more for the motor

than
your tech will.
A tech, again, can tell you if it was indeed the motor, a relay, a cap,

fan control center or temp overload that failed and repair as

needed...and
can do it normally in less time than you have spent thus far, trying to

save
$40.

We both know it is not $40 not even close, especially here in NJ. But it's
more than just money of course, I truly enjoy doing things on my own, it's
hard the first time around, but the more you do the easier it becomes (and
the more you save).

Umm....lets see...$40 labor on an easy to get at motor? Yea..I can see it,
and thats why I said it. However, in NJ, no....LOL..I cant.

I do appreciate your responses and information you provided. I do intend

follow your advice, I will probably go with a local electrical supply

store
like Grainger mentioned in another response and make sure they
cross-reference my motor. Then I will run it by a local HVAC professional

double check that I am getting the right unit. Then I will try to install

it
on my own and if after all the preparation and research I get

electricuted,
I guess I do not deserve a better lot :-)

One word of warning....if you DO use Grainger...(shudder) do NOT get a
Dayton motor....AOSmith or GE. Grainger is not the cheapest place to get
one, and the Grainger here will NOT sell to a homeowner. Just be prepared.

Thanks a lot for your help.