Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expected Life Of a Pedestal Sump Pump ?

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 5:30:24 PM UTC-6, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
I have a pedestal sump going on 14 years. I wonder how much longer it will run.
Typically, it runs 3-4 months a year between Dec and Apr. During heavy rain, it
will run about once every 2 minutes for about 10 seconds. It sits in a 5 gallon
can dug into the basement floor. There is also a battery operated pump in the
sump which will run if the the pedestal sump either fails or the electricity
quits. I figure after 14 years, it is getting near the end of life. Any thoughts?

There are a couple of electric motor repair/rewind shops in town that also repair and rebuild pumps of all types. If you have a pump shop in town, you might call them and ask what the cost of installing new bearings in your pump would be. The pump shops check the insulation of the motor windings to make sure it's worth rebuilding the pump. If the insulation on the motor windings has deteriorated, it's less expensive to replace the pump. It would be best to ask the experts at the pump shop what works best for your situation. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Pumped Monster