Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Bud@Weiser.com is offline

Default Expected Life Of a Pedestal Sump Pump ?

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:34:01 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 7:25:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:12:08 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

If the battery pump can keep you safe long enough to get a new AC pump,
that would be good enough reason for me to keep doing what you're doing.
I'd have the battery pump set to come on at a higher level and also an
alarm set up to sound so that you know the primary pump has failed.
They have cheap $10 alarms for water heaters at HD and similar. May
be loud enough and work for your purpose.

Why would you put an alarm on a water heater, and where does it connect?

You put it on the floor or in the safety drip pan that's under it,
if it has one. It's just a battery operated alarm, the size of a pack
of cigarettes, with two contacts on the bottom. If the WH starts to
leak, you know it before it does damage.

Ok, Thanks. The contacts on the bottom must be activated by wetness. Is
that correct?
I assume this would work for any sort of water leakage.

I wonder how this would work in a bathtub?
I know of a certain elderly person, who dont watch the tub when it's
filling, and tends to overflow the tub fairly often.
Ive been trying to find some way to alert them when the tub is near
full.

What are they called so I can google for them?