D O G

Default Replacing furnace blower motor

We read about a few that die by electrocution as well doing this stuff..
That could happen while changing a bulb.

HVAC is the only trade that is regulated at the local, State and Federal
level. Granted, you are replacing a motor.....but, replacement with a

larger
HP, or the wrong speed, and you have issues you didnt have before.
Then, where are you at?

I am clueless as I said before, but I am not stupid. If I am not sure I do
not do it. I am researching, reading, asking questions, learning etc. That's
why I asked the question to this newsgroup and now thanks to you btw :-) I
know that I should get same HP, RPM, Speeds etc as the original.

No...its not that simple...what speed was the old motor set at? For cool?
For heat? Low, Med Low, MedHigh, or high?
Did it have 6 or 7 wires off it? What if the new one has one more, or one
less? You know, some do NOT come with wiring directions. Shaft size? Shaft
length?

It has 6 wires, 2 for the capacitor and the rest for four different speeds.
When I disconnected the motor I made sure to write down which wire
represented what speed and where on the board it was connected. When I am
getting a new motor, I'll make sure that the number of wires are the same
and that it comes with instructions. I'll certainly make sure the shaft
dimensions are the same as well.

Well...you can try your local HVAC supply center, but, most legitimate

ones
do not sell to a homeowner, and will charge you prob more for the motor

than
your tech will.
A tech, again, can tell you if it was indeed the motor, a relay, a cap, a
fan control center or temp overload that failed and repair as needed...and
can do it normally in less time than you have spent thus far, trying to

save
$40.

We both know it is not $40 not even close, especially here in NJ. But it's
more than just money of course, I truly enjoy doing things on my own, it's
hard the first time around, but the more you do the easier it becomes (and
the more you save).

I do appreciate your responses and information you provided. I do intend to
follow your advice, I will probably go with a local electrical supply store
like Grainger mentioned in another response and make sure they
cross-reference my motor. Then I will run it by a local HVAC professional to
double check that I am getting the right unit. Then I will try to install it
on my own and if after all the preparation and research I get electricuted,
I guess I do not deserve a better lot :-)

Thanks a lot for your help.