Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Change gear pressure angle

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 14:21:11 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 13:12:23 -0500
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 1/23/2017 8:29 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
Just a few suggestions:

1) Make a friend at a precision machine shop that has an optical comparator. You'l be able to look at the gear in excruciating detail and make all the measurements you need.

1a) Take a good, sharp close-up photo, making sure that the camera is square with the gear. Blow it up to several times actual size and take your measurements off the print. You can help this along by including a ruler in the photo for scale (or scribing some lines on the gear).

2) send the busted gear to Boston Gear and ask them to match it. Make sure to talk to someone first and to provide a return shipping label.

Thanks - I'll keep those in mind.

I hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but the book "Workshop Practice Series
No 17 - Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law" may help. If your lucky you
might find it at the library. Otherwise its around $23:

https://www.amazon.com/Gears-Gear-Cu...dp/0852429118/

It used to get mentioned here when your kind of question came up...

Always check eBay, too. $14.73 delivered from the UK
http://tinyurl.com/jx6jzbe

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is