Stoney

Default Replacing furnace blower motor

CBHvac, your computer clock is ahead by 3 hours. That's ok if you prefer it that
way but it makes the message continuity very strange when sorted by time.
Need any help adjusting that? )

CBHvac wrote:

"D O G" wrote in message
.net...
"HeatMan" wrote in message
Get a *competent*, licensed, professionally trained, HVAC technician to

get
the problem diagnosed and corrected properly. It will save you money

in
the long run.

I had a customer that wanted to do it himself. He burned his brand new
motor and still had to pay me to come out and install a new motor

There may have been 20 people on that day who wanted to do it themselves.
One failed, and became your customer. The other 19 succeeded, but you'll
never know about their success cause they had no reason to call you for
help. What I am trying to say is that being an HVAC pro, you only deal

with
those who failed, you have no idea how many do get the job done

successfully
:-)

We read about a few that die by electrocution as well doing this stuff..

And indeed, people fix their houses, roofs, floors, cars, appliances,
electronics etc, why not HVAC.

HVAC is the only trade that is regulated at the local, State and Federal
level. Granted, you are replacing a motor.....but, replacement with a larger
HP, or the wrong speed, and you have issues you didnt have before.
Then, where are you at?

Some of the jobs I would not risk and would
indeed leave to professionals, but replacing a motor does seem quite

doable
to me. I already took it out, all I have to do is buy a new one and put it
back in.

No...its not that simple...what speed was the old motor set at? For cool?
For heat? Low, Med Low, MedHigh, or high?

Did it have 6 or 7 wires off it? What if the new one has one more, or one
less? You know, some do NOT come with wiring directions. Shaft size? Shaft
length?

So, if anybody has answers to my original questions, I'd appreciate it

very
much.

Well...you can try your local HVAC supply center, but, most legitimate ones
do not sell to a homeowner, and will charge you prob more for the motor than
your tech will.
A tech, again, can tell you if it was indeed the motor, a relay, a cap, a
fan control center or temp overload that failed and repair as needed...and
can do it normally in less time than you have spent thus far, trying to save
$40.