Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default TS Circuit -- Part 2

On 1/22/2017 4:21 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

It's like the career that I was fortunate to retire from at 40 was a
dream.

Was it that horrible (that you wanted to retire at 40)? Or did you
aspire to do woodworking instead? I have my own reasons for asking, and
just like I am choosing not to "put them out there", I understand if you
would rather not go into this here.

Bill

I worked in almost every aspect of the automotive business. I managed
my first tire store/service center when I was 21. Later I loved
working for the dealership, I was hired to manage the parts department
of a new yet to exist Oldsmobile dealership on my 23rd birthday. I
moved up to Service Sales Manager and later Parts Director of the both
dealerships that we had until I left to fill the GM position of an
AC'Delco wholesale distributor 10 years later. I stayed with that until
I was 40. It was that last position that I retired from. I hated
working for the owners but put up with it the nonsense for about 5 of
the 7 years. It was a father and son business that was quite successful
on a small scale. After I joined we expanded sales greatly but the
volume of business was apparently too much for the father as he was
unable to make the changes to keep up. The son, the one that hired me,
had never really worked for any one other than his father except for
some dealership work when he was in school. They did not understand
diversifying or expanding product lines to include Ford or MoPar. When
I joined they had little to no competition. As competition came in they
were unwilling to change their business plan to adapt. I stayed with
them because of the fantastic retirement plan. They closed the doors
about 18 months after I left.

I was into woodworking at around age 8. Serious woodworking at around
25. And became a sole proprietorship wood working business to satisfy
the government about 20 years ago. Not a living by any stretch of the
imagination but plenty of gravy. ;~)

I would be happy to provide you with any other details privately that
you might be interested in.