Posted to alt.home.repair
jjordan jjordan is offline

Default vibration after motor change

We recently had a motor replaced on our Lennox G61MVP series central air
system. My wife called me while they were change the motor as I wasn't able
to be there. They had the wrong puller for the job, so they used a block of
wood to drive the motor off the squirrel cage.She offered to let them use one
of my pullers, ( I have several from my auto repair and welding business ) but
they declined and spent the next 45 minutes beating on it with a hammer. The
first thing I noticed when I got home was the whirring noise and the vibration
when you put your hand on the unit itself. I pulled the front panel and and
checked the new motor for slop in the bearings, they were tight. there is
however about 5 to 10 thousands end play on it and when I spun the squirrel
cage, there is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch run out. Since I don't know and can't
find allowable tolerances anywhere can someone please advise me. Are either of
this tolerances to much ? The squirrel cage isn't dragging, but my experience
with automotive is if you bend or warp the squirrel cage causing it to
unbalance, it will cause premature bearing failure. Is this a concern on this
unit also? Please advise, Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1122081-.htm