Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Change gear pressure angle

On 1/21/2017 4:04 PM, wrote:
I assume you tried Jet already to see if a new gear is available and
found out it is not.

Yes - Jet has a bit of a reputation for its customers being SOL for parts.

Since you are only making one gear you could
grind a fly cutter to fit the existing gear.

But then I'd have to make a fly cutter holder & worry about angles &
stuff. A gear cutter is $19 (the 20 degree one) from Wholesale Tool.

... As to the picture shown
all the teeth of a particular DP are the same size so the gear
diameter shouldn't matter, you just need to see if your tooth matches
the shape of a sample tooth.

You're right, of course - they use the same cutter! I tried to compare
them in Photoshop, but at a reasonable size the Boston Gear profiles are
pixelating and my photo's lack of precision shows. It looks closer to
14-1/2, though (the $52 cutter).

You may be able to determine the pressure
angle by tracing your gear teeth carefully on a piece of paper. Now,
find the center of the tracing as close as you can and use this with a
compass to draw a circle ...

That sounds like what mikesworkshop.weebly.com does, in CAD. I don't
think that my photo precision would support it.

Thanks,
Bob