Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to carve limestone with homebrew machines

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 05:35:08 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:41:54 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

This is interesting.

Ed Leedskalnin was from Latvia, moved eventually to Homestead Florida,
where he built a castle from coral limestone.

Of course, "how did he do that?" is always a good question. Ed would
say "I understand the laws of weight and leverage and I know the
secrets of the people who built the pyramids." Which of course also
brings out the conspiracy theorists.
But this guy gives a good explanation of how it worked. "Simple
Engineering". Some serious metal working here if you want to
reconstruct it for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOoCuDnmtyM

tschus
pyotr

Will wait until my days off to watch a 30 minute video. Have read
about the Coral Castle before. Not sure if this is mentioned but one
of the 'perfectly balanced' pivoting rocks was later found to be
mounted on a hidden truck axle.

Along the same theme, moving huge blocks of concrete by hand,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvx5gSnfW4 only six minutes.

Cool video. I saw a short vid on Coral Castle a long while back.
Some kind of Bermuda Triangle film, IIRC.

Actually bought the guys CD about ten years ago to see all the ones
that were not on You Tube. Warning, the wind noise in some of his
videos is awful! He needs one of those foam microphone covers.

Almost everyone on Youtube needs those covers, but the majority of
filming nowaday is done via phones, where there is no hope of a foam
cover. There's a niche which could be filled!

And we haven't discussed the need for filmmakers to have a steady hand
and to pay attention to what they're filming. Gawd, so many of those
films just purely SUCK.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is