Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Scary behavior from Whirlpool Self Cleaning Oven

On 1/21/2017 8:08 AM, wrote:
I am a ups driver, Christmas week one of my customers house was gutted by fire, the cause was a self cleaning oven ran its cycle when no one was home. I have yet to find out what was the make of oven. However , the same problem has happened to me over and over again. I have unwired my oven heating elements and no longer use that oven. ( I Have a second oven , a whirlpool) we plan to replace both units as we plan to remodel the kitchen never to use whirlpool ovens again. I have not heard of any recalls or warnings I hope whirlpool goes out of business or fixes the problems , I know they know of this problem especially with social media these days

Good chance the homeowner set the controls and did not know what they
did. There have been fires, usually something left on top of the stove
and a big mess inside that should have been partially cleaned beforehand.

That can happen with any brand, not just Whirlpool. If the problem
happened to me repeatedly I'd find and fix the proble rather than
disable the oven. Could be a bad timer.