Brad

Default Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

In article ,
said...
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:42:19 -0400,
wrote:

It's a ritual. I was surprised to find people doing it around me; but then
they put eggs on trees at Easter too. I figure they're coupled.

The real ritual is the ritual of the freeze and thaw cycle?

My 30yo driveway is grey but fine. It has the same grass growing in it as
the rest of the driveways, a harmless bit of seasonal color. Cracks come from
ground movement, not lack of sealing.

So you are saying that there is no reason to keep water out of the
cracks because ice expansion won't make the crack worse?

Expansion of water in the form of ice is a myth?

I recoat my driveway every 2 or 3 years for a cost of about $50 per application.
After 20 years, my driveway looks quite a bit different than my neighbors who
all got driveways put in at the same time as me.

My driveway is smooth, level, and still drains properly. No cracks, and no
weeds. My neighbors are already looking at the expense ($3000) of a cap job.

Yeah, driveway sealing is a real ripoff... NOT!!!

So your driveway has never developed a crack that you had to patch before
applying the sealer? The sealer is little more than paint and does
virtually nothing to stop water from doing freeze damage. If you fill
your cracks when they are small there is no need to seal.

Ever notice how roads are never sealed?