Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default differences ? stained glass soldering iron and electricalsoldering iron

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article ,
says...

AFAIK: Stained glass windows are held together with plain lead - it requires
a much higher temperature than solder.

If the iron is as hot as I suspect - it'll probably burn off the flux too
quickly.

I don't know about the big windows, but most of the home built items
seem to wrap the edges of the glass with copper foil.

Yes. I knew someone forty years ago who wsa doing it that way. I'm not
sure when it moved that way, somewhere I got the impression that it had
been done some other way in the past. Or maybe the split is that a
hobbyist will use copper foil, while for churches, it's something more
substantial.

Michael