Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default LED lamps, source and value

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:08:56 +0000, dave wrote:

I'd like to replace all the lamps/bulb in house with LED ones (mains
bayonett fittings).

I bought a couple the other day from Tesco £7 each - and I like the
colour - and the power saving :-) Is that price a reasonable one for
8W LED lamp?

I'd just like to ask if someone can recommend a site to buy such
lamps from? My 'friends' google and ebay has zillions, but don't want
to end up with a stack of fakes. A bit cynical but it adds up to quite
a sum to change them all. Seen a few comments saying Lidl/Aldi LED
lamps are good value and quality.Thanks for any info on this.

OT: Afaik the LED lamps really are LED arrays - so I guess there is
some arsenic toxicity risk in disposal? (Minute amounts). And CFL's
have Hg. Just mention this because Sains.s lamp recycling bin is
always crammed full of CFL's - many are smashed!

There was a recent thread about this (which I started) and which you
may find it of interest.

Beware of electromagnetic interference as these devices can interfere
with radio, particularly DAB. It seems many do not comply with the EU
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive and some do. I have
tried both and even those that comply (Philips) still cause
significant interference.

Philips admit the problem but say mains voltage lamps are less prone
to this than 12V.

I would avoid LED Hut. They were helpful at first but now that I want
to return all the (non-compliant) lamps they are not replying to
emails. I think my report to Trading Standards probably got their
backs up.

I would ask any supplier to confirm that the lamps are EMC compliant.