Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Cooker circuit question

Robin wrote:

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
The kitchen in my newly-(almost) completed extension has a
(professionally installed) 45A radial cooker circuit which currently
terminates in a junction box. I don't intend to install a cooker but I
do need to power an electric domino hob and a fridge-freezer close to
where the box is situated. Is there any reason why I can't take two
2.5mm cables from the junction box via two switches to two sockets, to
do so?

Yes. But change the MCB to a 20 amp one.

A 32 amp MCB would also do if the 2.5mm cable is a reasonably short spur
running to a single socket or twin socket. (It's even shown in Appendix
15 to BS7671:2008 which I've had to show a doubter.)

I don't know if the adiabatic equation would stretch to 45A!

But if is going to wire in the hob directly without a plug he needs
either a 10A MCB, which probably woudln't be enough, or at most a 16A
MCB, which might well be bigger then the hob is rated for; a 13A fused
spur would be desirable.

--

Roger Hayter