Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default [EU] budget implications

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 19/01/2017 15:33, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

On 19/01/2017 13:28, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

as no longer being valid it will have to be before anyone can travel
abroad so there could be a mass application for passports and it could
take a while to process them.

Why would it no longer be valid? A passport is whatever the issuing
authority says it is.

Rubbish.
The country of entry has the say on what's valid not the issuing
country.
Why do you think you need a visa as well as a passport to get into
some countries?

The visa may be needed but so is the passport, which also has to be
valid as issued by the issuing country, not the country of entry. Or do
you think that you can get a visa added to an expired passport?

I used to have a USA visa in my expired passport and it was still valid
for multiple entry, indefinite stay.
It remained valid until they decided to pull all the current visas because
of terrorism.

Or that
you can get a visa stamped onto some scrap of paper and they'll let you
in on the basis of that?

Not all visas are put into your passport.

You need the passport to get back.

Nope, if you have lost it there are other
ways to prove that you are a UK citizen,
like checking that you were issued with one.

They didn't check it on going to France from the UK but they did check it
on the way back.

But would have still let you come home even
if you had lost it.