Posted to uk.d-i-y
grjw grjw is offline

Default [EU] budget implications

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:10:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

Conveniently ignoring the benefit to exporters, of course.

Depends what they're exporting. If that contains a significant amount of
costs from imported bits like say energy, it's going to cost more to make.

Hardly anything that the UK exports does.

Devaluation
is generally good for a country; why else did Harold Wilson devalue
the pound by 14% in 1967,

Nice to think Harold Wilson's economic strategy worth praising.

and why else is the FTSE at record highs
ATM, why else is unemployment at its lowest value for 11 years.

Many of the companies quoted in the FTSE don't get all their income from
sterling. If they earn in, say, dollars, rather obviously the company
value in sterling goes up.

But
you always do do your best to present a miserable view, don't you.

I'd rather say realistic. I'll leave the head in the sand optimism to the
BREXITEERS.

BTW, if UK business is your god, you might consider why the vast majority
didn't want to leave the EU.

You don’t know that.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.