Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default [EU] budget implications

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 19/01/2017 13:28, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

On 19/01/2017 11:57, pamela wrote:
On 11:05 19 Jan 2017, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Rumour has it that a number of UK scientists are after dual
nationality so they can be protected from any barriers.
Brian

Lucky me, I think I may qualify for dual nationality and a
passport from an EU member state. I won't pass that up if I can
get it. It may be very useful to leave this sinking ship behind in
a few years.

What could better symbolise Britain's exaggerated pride in it's
own shoddiness than the old blue passport? Oversized, creasable,
with shabby paper behind windows, prone to letters rubbing off,
and all that. Yet many retain a strange proud hypnotic attachment
to it. I wonder if Brexiteers will turn back the clock and restore
it? I don't mind the colour but the rest of it is so ugh!

Well there will need to be new passports issued at some time.
If the EU or other countries refuse to accept an EU passport from the UK

We don't have EU passports Den they are all issued by the member state.
The only change I expect is removing the "European Union" bit at the
top of the front cover and possibly changing the colour but I don't
suppose many people will give a monkey's.

as no longer being valid it will have to be before anyone can travel
abroad so there could be a mass application for passports and it could
take a while to process them.

Why would it no longer be valid? A passport is whatever the issuing
authority says it is.

Rubbish.

Fact.

The country of entry has the say on what's valid not the issuing country.

Not with passports they dont.

Why do you think you need a visa as well as a passport to get into some
countries?

Because that is what visas are about.

They are recorded in the passport, a separate matter
entirely to whether the passport itself is valid or not.

What if the country of entry says "well its says you are a citizen of the
EU

No country passport says that.

but you aren't so go home"?

They get no say on where the passport holder has to go, JUST
that the passport holder can not legally enter THAT COUNTRY.

What's the UK going to do as issuing country?

Realise that it is still a valid passport.

I expect everyone will have to *pay* for a new passport soon.

We already pay for new passports.

When they expire?

Or when they are lost.

Are they all going to expire on brexit?

Nope, because all they say is that the passport holder is a UK citizen.

Even if the passport does have some reference to the EU
on it, even the stupidest paper shuffler at the border will
know that Britain has left the EU when that has happened.

Passports are becoming more and more similar anyway so that all countries
can machine-process them if they want to.

So?

So they will be changed for that reason.