Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default [EU] budget implications

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:

I heard minigod Nige say that the dues we'd receive on EU imports to
the UK would be greater than the dues we'd pay on our exports to the
EU. Whether the Delors analysis takes that into account, I didn't go
looking.

It does mention that if we end up with WTO trade, the dues the EU would
receive from UK trade could halve their "brexit gap" but would eventually
see individual EU states income drop - whether they'll allow that to
influence their decision to allow us better than WTO trade, we'll have to
see.

The point is that countries look at WTO tariffs as if they are
inter-country governmental payments

when they are not

they are payments by consumers (who buy the end products with the tariffs
added)

So instead of HMG (from UK taxes) giving the EU countries 20 Billion (or
whatever the figures is), EU consumers will give their own governments an
extra 20 Billion in tariff payments (aka local taxes)

Or not in the case of stuff imported into the EU which
has a tariff applied currently which doesn’t have to
have a tariff applied when Britain is outside the EU.