Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Solid wood filler?

KenK wrote:
I have a yard gate that is causing me problems. Its 'hinges' are two large
diameter (3/4"?) 'L' shaped bolts that screw into 2 x 4s. The gate has
'brackets' that fit over the vertical part of the 'L' and it swings back
and forth. That's hard to describe and I likely failed.

Anyhow, one L-bolt is very loose in the 2x4. I tried several different
caulks but they do not set firmly anough and are not liquid enough to fill
in well around the bolt and hold it rigidly. I'm thinking of some kind of
glue instead. Suggestions? I would greatly prefer not to have to replace
the 2 x 4.

TIA

Have you thought of drilling out the hole to a larger size and inserting
a piece of metal, such as a pipe, where the L bolt fits tighter? That
would hold up better than a wood filler.