Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Solid wood filler?

On 19 Jan 2017 17:02:45 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a yard gate that is causing me problems. Its 'hinges' are two large
diameter (3/4"?) 'L' shaped bolts that screw into 2 x 4s. The gate has
'brackets' that fit over the vertical part of the 'L' and it swings back
and forth. That's hard to describe and I likely failed.
Anyhow, one L-bolt is very loose in the 2x4. I tried several different
caulks but they do not set firmly anough and are not liquid enough to fill
in well around the bolt and hold it rigidly. I'm thinking of some kind of
glue instead. Suggestions? I would greatly prefer not to have to replace
the 2 x 4.
TIA

There is epoxy wood filler - but expensive and might not work with
your caulking failures .. and would be questionable for a heavy gate
that requires a 3/4 inch lag .. perhaps yours is 3/8 or 1/2 ?
If you drill-out the hole and glue in a "dowel" eg. broom handle
- the dowel will turn free as you screw in the lag - you would need
to square it .
Moving the hinge or replacing it with a dufferent type might be the
best bet.
http://www.murdochs.com/shop/nationa...298bc-pintles/

John T.