Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default dado sets and box joint sets

On 1/18/2017 7:39 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 08:28:21 -0700, Brewster wrote:

On 1/16/17 12:46 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

looking for a new dado set and found something i had not heard of before

freud has a box joint set

two blades

one formation gives you 3/8 inch and the other gives you 1/4 inch

would probably meet my needs but it is not cheap

may just go with a 6 inch dado set from hf with a 20 off coupon
anyone have an hf dado set

freud also has a dial a width dado set which is 260 dollars or more

I bought the Freud box joint set a few years back when they first became
widely available ($60 at casa.com).

Absolutely perfect fingre/box joints! I then "discovered" that with the
perfectly flat grind on the teeth (and both blades the exact same
diameter), it is perfect for grooves and other cuts that need square
shoulders and a flat pocket (half laps are where I put them to use, big
time).

Even with the FTG profile, there is no tearout on the shoulders as long
as a backer board is in use on the miter gauge.

Overall, probably my favorite blade second only to my WWIIs

That's why I bought a #1 grind WWII.

I have 3 WWII reg kerf 40 tooth blades. I had a flat grind put on the
oldest one by Forrest several years ago.