Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blue Sharpie

On 2017-01-17, Bob La Londe wrote:
Part of my routine the last several months is to watch YouTube machining
videos on the big screen in the house while I have my morning coffee before
heading out to the shop to get to work. I have noticed a lot of guys (some
hobbyists and some not) seem to be using blue Sharpie markers as a sort of
layout out "fluid" for some types of jobs.

Is there something inherently wrong with this if it works? I kind of have
the attitude if something produces a satisfactory result and causes no harm
its ok, but even though I do machining everyday I still consider myself a
hobbyist.

It works great for smaller areas as a layout fluid. It just
takes longer to cover a larger area -- even with a big tipped Sharpie.
I use it sometimes -- I use the fluid other times.

Also -- it is easier to use the Sharpie where Dykem layout fluid
would run into areas where you might not want it.

I can see where it probably would not work out very well for marking from a
surface plate to scrape a flat surface.

That is a different substance -- a thin oil paint intended to
smear and then to be cleaned off after the scraping. It is dense enough
so it shows lots of contrast in a very thin layer.

(And it is/was also useful by apprentices -- to coat a doorknob
to stain someone's hands. (It is difficult to clean out the stains.)
The layout fluid is allowed to dry (very quickly, given the solvent
used.)

Do you use a blue Sharpie in your shop? If you do are there times when you
use Dykem instead?

Blue, black, red -- whatever it ready to hand and contrasts with
the workpiece. (red on brass or bronze does not show much contrast.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail