Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Kraus[_2_] Larry Kraus[_2_] is offline

Default wobble dado

On 1/18/2017 6:51 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
at first it sounds like an interesting idea but introducing a little
too much chaos for me

they are inexpensive but would not think it would be good for the saw
or the material or the operator

who has used a wobble dado

the cut could not have come out very good

I bought a Craftsman "Excalibur" carbide dado set back when I still
thought the Craftsman name meant something. This set used two blades
joined by a hub that rotated to change the V angle between the blades.
Greater angles produced a wider dado. The bottom of the dado also became
very concave as the dado got wider, so forget about any kind of visible
joint, or getting any kind of glue strength. The real flaw is that the
dado width also changed up to 1/32" with the tightness of the arbor nut.
Cutting an exact width required much trial, error and luck. Set the hub,
tighten the nut, make a test cut, loosen the nut, adjust, tighten, test,
oops - not the exact same torque on the nut, start over, ad nauseum. So,
no good for finger joints and no repeatability. I had that piece of crap
in our neighborhood garage sale twice a year for ten years, at ever
lower prices. Never had a nibble and finally threw it in the recycling
dumpster at work.