Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Benderthe.evilrobot Benderthe.evilrobot is offline

Default rebuild old laptop battery pack--- waste of time or worth it?

"David" wrote in message
news
I am in the process of using one of my old laptops for a specific task. Of
course, due to age, one of the issues I've come across is battery life.
Under any stress, the battery lasts maybe 20 min. If I do nothing, it may
go on for 45 min. Recently, I came across a few videos where folks
rebuilt their laptop battery packs and I'm wondering if it's worth it for
this old machine. Without too much effort, I managed to disassemble the
Lithium Ion pack and it is made up of 9 cells labelled as Sony Energytec
US17670 which, according to my research, are 3.6 V cells and, as luck
would have it, here is the same pack disassembled:

https://wiki.droids-corp.org/article...nics/Accu.html

Now the big question is: 1) Is it worth it to replace these cells? Some
quick searching is showing them being quite expensive even for "generic"
cells which I understand probably wouldn't last any longer than the time
I'm getting now. The next question would be 2) If worth it, what would be
a suggested source for obtaining the replacements? Finally (3) is there
any way simple way to increase power on time of these current cells? I
have read of people putting them in the freezer, etc, but I don't think
that's for this type of battery.

If all else fails, I'll just continue using the AC adapter.

Thanks.

Apparently - some types have configuration data in volatile memory; if you
remove the old cells without providing a sustaining voltage, the onboard
controller chip becomes *VERY* dumb.

Presumably this can also happen if the battery gets completely dead - but
all the books are telling me that writes off the cells anyway.