Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Solder cast iron with lead free solder? Yes!

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 13:44:30 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 09:20:51 -0800 wrote:

snip
I really don't like bondo for through holes. But it does work and lots
of folks use it with good results. The type with fiberglass mixed in
works pretty good for through holes. I still like the metal solution
best because I like metal.

I use to take fiberglass mat and pull fibers, small pieces out of it.
Small scrap pieces work really well. Then mix them in with the resin to
patch stuff like that. It kind of makes a snot ball that can be
manipulated, formed pretty well.

Polystyrene putty with chopped fibers in it works quite well both as a
putty and as a glue for polystyrene parts. My dad's shop used to have
the local Glidden supplier custom-mix such putty. It was excellent
stuff. (May still be -- I don't know what the company uses now).

It won't necessarily stick well to metal, though. I'm not sure what body
fillers like Bondo use to increase the bond.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!