Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default rebuild old laptop battery pack--- waste of time or worth it?

On 01/18/2017 09:02 AM, N_Cook wrote:
On 18/01/2017 11:35, David wrote:
I am in the process of using one of my old laptops for a specific task.
Of course, due to age, one of the issues I've come across is battery
life. Under any stress, the battery lasts maybe 20 min. If I do
nothing, it may go on for 45 min. Recently, I came across a few videos
where folks rebuilt their laptop battery packs and I'm wondering if it's
worth it for this old machine. Without too much effort, I managed to
disassemble the Lithium Ion pack and it is made up of 9 cells labelled
as Sony Energytec US17670 which, according to my research, are 3.6 V
cells and, as luck would have it, here is the same pack disassembled:

https://wiki.droids-corp.org/article...nics/Accu.html

Now the big question is: 1) Is it worth it to replace these cells? Some
quick searching is showing them being quite expensive even for "generic"
cells which I understand probably wouldn't last any longer than the time
I'm getting now. The next question would be 2) If worth it, what would
be a suggested source for obtaining the replacements? Finally (3) is
there any way simple way to increase power on time of these current
cells? I have read of people putting them in the freezer, etc, but I
don't think that's for this type of battery.

If all else fails, I'll just continue using the AC adapter.

Thanks.

Do you have to use an exact pack replacement for cosmetic purposes, or
can any old chunky external battery pack do the job?

Depending on how much your time is worth to you, there are all sorts of
outfits that refurb laptop batteries. Last time I used one it was about
$50 for a 9-cell Thinkpad pack, iirc.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--