Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HiFi (OT)

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 20:11:32 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/01/17 16:25, whisky-dave wrote:

Personally - I buy CDs and rip (carefully with software that retries
errors rather than skips), then encode lossless, plus a second max
bitrate MP3 for and devices that cannot handle lossless.

Where we should be right now is being able to buy digital lossless media
at better than 44kHz sampling...

Yes and we all should spend at least £50 for a decent bottle of wine in a resturant as with most it depends on the price and what you want.
Most of my MP3s are ACC or MP3 at 192KHz or higher.

Where do you get them? Amazon were ****e when I tried...

visa torrent years ago some were MP3 some ACC some AIFF some FLACK, when I have the CD I ripped it to ACC or MP3 192k.

Somehow I"ve eneded up with space oddity 8 track was included in one of the downloads.
I have 10 DVD/CDs of syd barratt "HYGIY" I think was the title all FLAC.

And it's not about £50. I can get the CD from HMV or Amazon for the
usual price and ripping is free.

Yep that's what I'd do and have done.
But some like higher quality than others which is why there's a range of most products.

All I was saying is by now, we should be able to buy 44.4kHz lossless
DRM free media.

Isn't that what CDs are.

44.4kHz was a compromise between quality and play time. It was a very
good compromise, but we might as well go a little better now there's no
reason not to.

for that you'd need the music industry to produce at that quality.
But teh music industry never really cared about that they cared about their profit margins I know because someone I knew (manager level) at vivendi(SP) asked me how the music was being got as they;d seen sales drop and wanted to find a way of stopping on-line copying, I said you can;t you're only option is either better quality CDs that people will want to buy (include posters and artwaork that won;t be easy to copy cheaply or start selling MP3s yuorseves at a cheap enough price that people won't bother searching for it for free.