Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default HiFi (OT)

On 18/01/2017 02:46, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 20:03:05 +0000, Chris Bartram wrote:

On 17/01/17 16:54, RobertL wrote:
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:41:49 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?

I suspect they are rubbish, but I have wonderedthe same thing. I have a
lot of LPs that i've not heard since I was young (1970s) and I also
have the original GL75 turntable I used to play them on. My plan (one
day) is to connect up the GL75 to a PC and make CDs of the vinyl. I
actually want all the pops and crackles because I am so familiar with
them and they will be part of the nostalgic experience.

Daft I know.

Robert

I can kind of see that, but I don't miss the pops/scratches. Any vinyl I
care about I've rebought on CD: CDs are pretty cheap now, compared to
the 80s.

That's all fine and dandy, provided they hadn't been 'weaponised' for
use in "The Loudness War" campaigns that were (and still are?) being
conducted by "The Pop Industry". Many a good recording suffered the
effects of the extreme levels of compression made possible by DSP when
remastered for re-release on CD. :-(

I've never noticed that, but I have noticed just how bad Metallica's
"Death Magnetic" sounds because of it: I only listened to it once, it's
that bad.