Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default HiFi (OT)

On 17/01/2017 15:38, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/01/17 13:11, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 17/01/17 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish

Vinyl surface noises sounds horrible when compressed at low bit rates
and cartridges in cheap decks will almost certainly be ceramic.

The MP3 result will be lifeless if there was any life in the original
studio performance.

That might not matter ...

It makes me laugh when I see the vinyl record hipster stores - because
half the people buying vinyl probably have a POS toy turntable with a
cheap ceramic cartridge, unbalanced turntable with all the wow and
flutter possible, unbalanced arm and rubbish pre-amp.

A cheap CD player would be 100 times better, not to mention having to
keep vinyl super clean.

Which I think is to miss the point. Not everyone listens to music for a
pristine digital rendition. For some it's an experience that's actually
enhanced if you have something tactile, tangible and full of associations.

Some people get that, lots don't.

--
Cheers, Rob