Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default HiFi (OT)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 17:04:10 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
I kept my turntable but there's a rubber band in it that has
metamorphosed into something rather sticky.

Unless it's something very rare I'd say a spare shouldn't be too hard to
find. Got one for my Thorens easily. Ebay might be worth a look.

I bought a spare drive belt for mine (a TD125MK1) a decade or so back
just in case. The last time I checked, a few years ago now, I couldn't
tell whether it was the new belt in the plastic bag or the old one since
I can't remember for sure whether or not I actually swapped the new one
onto the deck! The original had been still in such good condition that I
think I may have decided to hang onto the new belt as an 'unused
spare'. :-)

Obviously, Thorens chose their 'rubber' compound wisely since even after
more than two decades, there was no sign whatsoever of deterioration in
the drive belt (unlike the drive belt used by Philips in their solenoid
controlled data cassette deck drives which had become a gloopy sticky
mess in little more than a couple of decades).

--
Johnny B Good