Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] avagadro7@gmail.com is offline

Default differences ? stained glass soldering iron and electricalsoldering iron

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 5:46:59 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Ummmmmm, ummmmm. Stained Glass soldering irons start at 100 watts. And up.

They more-or-less look like this, bent or straight:

http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/c-...30h-hex175.jpg

Tip Temperature is typically at/near 700F.

Wood burners can go as high as 800F, most are in the 480-550 range. And so would be OK - at least - for conventional electronic soldering.

Eutectic solder melts ~361F. 480F is a fine tip temperature, pretty much what I use.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

It all depends on what one is soldering. I have a 100 watt iron my dad
used. Back in the tube days they were the 'standard' iron. Think it
may have been called a black beauty.
I have a 100 watt iron with a very large tip, it may be for the stained
glass work. I don't know. Bought it to solder the pl259 coax plugs on
the coax cable.

The OP did not state what he was soldering. He may want to put together
a couple of # 12 wires so a large iron could be used.

right...transistor/tubes....I forget. I was on the van roof soldering connectors to waterproof plugs n 10 Ga to 8 Ga for a set of Hella roof lights

3-4 connectors from work end day, the 40 watt Weller quit. I cleaned it. 0-.

went to the box for another . Cleaned it. -0- ..there's a chip

from the factory makes the chip shuts down 'save' when **** runs out of you at the library.

so I went over to Weller.China when I got down n to Amazon/GooShop

n settled on an 80 watt from Weller free shipping.

I had a gun up to 100w or 120w second squeeze...the $100 model.

40 watts drives me crzy. but I forget abt transistors

https://www.google.com/#tbm=shop&q=6... 098169798354 !!!