Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Another great institution closing.

On 1/16/2017 3:01 PM, Dave in SoTex wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

Hard to believe, I can remember when the Summit was being built.
About 1975 ish IIRC. It was a great concert venue.

I can't remember seeing a concert at the Summit [what does THAT
say?], saw many in the old Sam Houston Coliseum back in the 70s,
Springsteen at the adjoining Music Hall in the mid-70s and Clapton and
Cream my senior year in HS [67-68]. And a couple at Hofheinz Pavilion
on the UH campus. Seems like there was one in the Dome [Who? Rolling
Stones?]. The Eagles at Jeppesen Stadium [UH campus, 1975].

Actually the Beatles played at the Astrodome too. Along with hundreds
of Rodeo performances

Last night my SYB and I attended the opening musical concert at the
brand spanking new Smart Financial Center in Sugarland, Don Henley. My
references are fuzzy anymore but I would say it's a superior venue [
http://smartfinancial.centresugarlan...FYWVfgodQaoKfQ
]. And Henley was, well, Henley was Henley. At 69, he's grown a little
portly and it appeared as though he was straining his voice at times.
All in all, a good mix of old and new with a country tune or two thrown
in. Good band, too. Three or four guitars, five piece horn section,
three female backup singers who also shared some duets with Henley,
multiple keyboards [one also played fiddle]. "Not very profitable, but a
lot more fun," said Don.
A little over two hours after two two-song encores.

Dave in SoTex

I am relatively close to the Smart center and anxious to try it out. I
think the last big concert that I went to was about 8~10 years ago when
Simon and Garfunkel played at the Arena? Where the Rockets now play.