Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Another great institution closing.

On 1/16/2017 10:17 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 1/16/2017 9:29 AM, Dave in SoTex wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 1/15/2017 12:42 PM, woodchucker wrote:

While I hate to see a 160 year old business close, I never saw the
attraction. Went to the circus once about 60 years ago and never had
a desire to go back. Remember, it used to be two different circuses
that combined to survive. May have even been a third one swallowed up
too, Cole Bros.

While it's probably been 25 years ago, my wife and I took our six
year old boy to the Summit to see Ringling Bros. I remember thinking
then [as I do to this day], "Stupid pet tricks." Might be fun to
photograph it.

Dave in SoTex

Hard to believe, I can remember when the Summit was being built. About
1975 ish IIRC. It was a great concert venue.

It can't have been a "great concert venue", given that it was also
a sports arena

Mostly a comparison to the alternatives in the Houston area, not the
pinnacles around the world.

There were better places but the sound for a rock concert was just fine.
The hard spaces/mostly the floor was covered with a material to
protect the floors.
A few that I saw, The Eagles, Super Tramp, twice, Cat Stevens,
Steve Miller Band, James Taylor, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, etc.

For James Taylor and Cat Stephens you could hear a quite well
unamplified guitars at the opposite end of the arena. They later went
added electricity but I recall them starting the concerts with no back
up and no electric amplification.

(and apparently now a mega church who spent NINETY FIVE MILLION
dollars to rennovate that (so much for charity) - then bought the entire kaboodle from the city
for 7.5 million. I'd say the taxpayers got screwed).

what else is new? ;~)