Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Does this need screws?

On 1/16/2017 4:14 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
news
On 1/16/2017 3:08 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 11:43:17 -0500
Greg Guarino wrote:

It's a shelf/cubbyhole unit, intended to hang from the wall. It's six
feet long and a little over 11" deep. The material is red oak. All
the joints are dadoed or rabbeted (1/4" deep) and glued, as can be

why not add some screws for peace of mind

what downside is there to adding some screws

Only esthetic. I'd like to find screws with this style (and color) head:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Connectin...l13=&veh= sem

But of course in a wood screw. Ive seen something like it at HD, but in
nickel or brass, and at $1 per screw. I don't know what to call that style
of head.

About the closest you are likely to find are truss head. Oval head screws
can look decent. Me, I'd countersink plain old screws and glue in face
grain plugs if I was going to add screws which I wouldn't. However, what I
WOULD have done is set the pieces in sliding dovetails; very little harder
to make than dados and they will NOT come loose.

I'm skeptical that they are not much harder than dadoes, with my limited
skills and gear anyway. I made the dadoes (and rabbets) with a router
and this homemade jig:

https://flic.kr/p/QZ5N9A

Now *that's* easy. I assume I'd make sliding dovetails with a router
also? Assuming so, can't there be problems if the boards are even a
little cupped? Wouldn't the depth of the groove vary? I don't have a
planer; I'm at the mercy of S4S lumber. Dadoes seem more geometrically
forgiving.

---