Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/16/2017 10:06 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 1/15/17 11:28 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/15/2017 11:23 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Snip

Also, I noticed a lot of stuff you buy at the Borgs have unique model
numbers for stuff, and looking up those numbers turn up nothing. I
would imagine this tactic would put a crimp in price matching if the
store didn't want to match prices. $1 difference, no problem, $100
difference, big problem....

It can. At the other end, Walmart sometimes has
products with the same SKU as the ones you buy
elsewhere but the product has been cheapened in
some way, which is something I really wish the
FTC would start stepping on.

Same product/model number and one is built with cheaper parts.

I ask, how does one prove that. And is that maybe not just a case of
the manufacturer improving the product with out changing the model
number?

Case in point.

When the fresh roasted green chile runs out and we are Jonesing for a
fix, we have occasionally picked up a tub from either the local
supermarket or Wal mart. Consistently, the Wal Mart tubs have lots more
peels and other undesireables where as the supermarket version is fine.

Tubs look the same (same SKU), but our guess is that undoubtedly Wal
Mart demands the manufacturer supply at a lower price, so the
manufacturer provides a product that falls down a notch on their QC.

Easy enough to do (for a manufacturer) with foods, a bit more difficult
to do with electronics, etc. Given the volume that Wal Mart generates
for them, I'd bet that they find a way to modify production to satisfy
the Wal Mart contracts and help keep their bottom line.

FWIW
-BR

One time use consumables are way different than a product designed to be
used for years.