Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default differences ? stained glass soldering iron and electricalsoldering iron

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 3:43:02 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

It should be fine. You should make sure the tip is cleaned of any acid
type flux before using the iron on copper and rosin type solder. That
is usually not a problem as when you clean the tip as you should befor
putting it to solder the old flux will come off.

Back in my very young days (before 16) I put together a couple of radio
kits using the soldering pencil looking thing that came in a wood
burning art kit I had. They all worked fine.

Ummmmmm, ummmmm. Stained Glass soldering irons start at 100 watts. And up.

They more-or-less look like this, bent or straight:

http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/c-...30h-hex175.jpg

Tip Temperature is typically at/near 700F.

Wood burners can go as high as 800F, most are in the 480-550 range. And so would be OK - at least - for conventional electronic soldering.

Eutectic solder melts ~361F. 480F is a fine tip temperature, pretty much what I use.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA