Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Shopsmith on steroids --- Felder CF 741

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 11:01:19 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
Believe me if you pay property taxes and know some one that pays less
than you do, you may be paying more than necessary. Why should some one
in a million dollar home pay more property tax than some in a $250,000
home. Is the guy in the million dollar home getting 4 times as many
services. Probably not. Property taxes should not be based on value of
the property. Everyone should pay the same amount for the same services.

You seem to be in favor of property taxes as a set fee. Everyone pays the exact same price. Taking the "flat tax" philosophy to an extreme. Everyone should pay the exact same dollar amount of taxes regardless of their income. No progressive to it.

Found a website about Houston city property taxes that said this:

"The property tax provides more tax dollars for local government services in Texas than any other source. Property taxes help pay for public schools, city streets, county roads, police, fire protection, and many other services."

With streets and maybe police and fire, maybe, everyone should get the exact same service regardless of income or wealth or property value. But most property tax money is used for public schools. In my city the wealthier suburbs with nice homes have much, much, much nicer schools than the ghettos. I would guess it is the exact same in Houston too. People with million dollar homes want their little children to go to nice schools. Nice schools with swimming pools, new football stadiums, new basketball courts, performing arts centers, no lead pipes for drinking water, indoor plumbing with automatic flush toilets, solariums, etc. So it would be pretty hard to pay for those nice schools in the millionaire areas if property taxes are not based on home value.

Unless you are also proposing that we tax everyone the same, poor, rich, does not matter, everyone pays the exact same tax amount. Then we give the vast majority of that total money to the rich kids so they can have nice schools. Poor kids should be happy with a shack and outhouse.