Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Does this need screws?

On 1/16/2017 12:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/16/2017 11:43 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Pictorial:

https://flic.kr/p/PNUxit

It's a shelf/cubbyhole unit, intended to hang from the wall. It's six
feet long and a little over 11" deep. The material is red oak. All the
joints are dadoed or rabbeted (1/4" deep) and glued, as can be seen he

https://flic.kr/p/R48Du6

And there's the rub.

I'm still just a weekend hobbyist and I had not considered that the
joints would involve end grain when I designed the piece. I only thought
about it as I was applying the glue.

The unit consists of about 18 feet of solid red oak 1x12. One of those
online calculators tells me that's about 30 pounds, unloaded. There
won't be books in (and on) these shelves, mostly percussion instruments
including some hand drums. Still, I can imagine it weighing 60-80 lbs.
in use.

The top of the unit will be about six feet off the ground. I figure that
means that only people over 6'3" will ever see it. Even the bottom will
be largely obscured by speakers and a pair of computer monitors. So it
wouldn't be a disaster to add a couple of screws to each joint, maybe
those flat power-head socket type.

Any advice about whether or not I need screws, and if so where I can get
some that are reasonably decorative?

---

Nope, glue is stronger than nails in this case, you should be fine.
How you hang it is another issue. You definetly want to hit studs.

Just to be sure I've been clear, every joint in this project is
end-grain to long-grain. It may be easier to see he

https://flic.kr/p/R6Qae4

Are glued end-grain to long-grain joints strong enough? And yes, it will
definitely be attached to studs.

---